Grapevine Youth Wrestling League
The Grapevine Wrestling League is located in southern New
Jersey and is comprised of 33 teams with approximately 2,000
participants. Below are a number of things that make the league
1 - Competitions are held on Saturdays or Sundays only. None
are held Monday through Friday.
2 - The 8-week season consists of six competitions followed
by two tournaments. Each competition involves three teams.
3 - Every wrestler on a team competes in each competition.
Some get one match, most get two and on occasion a few get three
4 - Wrestlers are paired up according to:
- Weight - There are no predetermined weight classes
Wrestlers that are paired up must be within 5-10% of each other.
- Age - Wrestlers must be within +/- one year of each
- Skill Level - Each wrestler is assigned a skill level
rating ranging from 1 to 6 with 1 being a novice and 6 the most
experienced and knowledgable wrestlers.
- For details about the procedure used for pairing up wrestlers
look at Articles 10 and 11 of the Grapevine
- A computer program, called Matchman,
is used to pair up the wrestlers.
The advantages of this league are:
- No cutting weight.
- Kids wrestle opponents who are the same age, weight and skill
- Everyone wrestles which in turn leads to the added benefit
of eliminating the need for wrestle-offs.